The establishment of Public-Private Partnership Cell was approved as a project in 2009 and housed in Planning & Development Department, Government of the Punjab. Later, the Provincial Assembly, Punjab, approved “Punjab Public Private Partnership for Infrastructure Act, 2010” which acknowledges the PPP Cell as a statutory body.
PPP Cell is working as lynch-pin in PPP framework which includes statutory/regulatory bodies (PPP Steering Committee, PPP Cell and RMU) to promote and regulate public-private partnerships in the province. PPP Cell is the secretariat to the PPP Steering Committee.
PPP Cell became operational in November 2010 and effectively functional in July 2012 after recruitment of all the requisite officers.
During its short operational tenure, following major milestones have been achieved:
- Enactment of “Punjab Public Private Partnership for Infrastructure Act, 2010”.
- Preparation and approval of (07) guidelines for PPP Projects.
- Establishment and utilization of Project Development Facility (PDF) - Fund to develop Feasibilities and Transaction Advisory Services. PPP feasibilities for transport and energy sector have been sponsored through this fund.
- Facilitated the line departments in developing new PPP proposals (PPP Pipe-line of Projects in Water, Health, Live-stock & Dairy, Urban Development) in the light of PPP Policy and Act.
- Reviewed and recommended major projects in multiple economic sectors (Road, Transport, Health, Food etc.) worth approx.Rs. 80 billion which are at different stages of development/execution.
- MoU signed with IFC for availing consultancy (Transaction Advisory Services) for Public-Private Partnerships.
- In order to promote PPP and bring awareness about PPP Policy among the line departments, presentation briefings were arranged in 14 departments which were attended by the secretaries/departmental heads along with their team.
- Templates/model documents were prepared and provided to government agencies for facilitation of process and preparation of projects.
- On the request of PPP Cell, the line departments and different government agencies have nominated their respective officers as Focal Persons (in 12 departments) which is the first step towards creation of Nodes.
- The Cell facilitated line departments in preparation of concept papers of project proposal.