Lai Nullah Basin has a catchment area of 234.9 Km² The catchment area of Lai Nullah Basin is administratively divided into Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) in the upper reaches of 144.4 Km² and Rawalpindi City of Punjab Province in the lower reaches of 90.5 Km². Lai Nullah has a length of about 30 Km, stretching from the Margalla hills in Federal Capital City Islamabad at the North-western edge until Soan River at the South-eastern edge in District Rawalpindi of Province of the Punjab. The Basin is located between 33º 33´ and 33º 46´ North and 72º 55´ and 73º 07´ East. -
The project was under taken from I.J Principal Road at Katarian Bridge to Ammar Chowk for 11 km whereas the total length of Nullah Lai is about 19 km which ends in Soan River near High Court at G.T Road. So, it is quite evident that previous scope of the Lai Project would not address the current problems for the whole city completely and the desired result would not be achieved.Therefore, the problems identified above cannot be addressed completely unless the subject project is extended over the whole Nullah Lai spanning over 19 Km i.e. from Katarian Bridge to Soan River near High Court and further connected to 9th Avenue (Agha Shahi Road).
|PPP Modality||Build-Operate & Transfer (BOT)|
|Sponsoring Agency||HUD & PHE Department|
|Implementation Agency||Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA)|
|Proposed length||19 KM|
|Estimated Project Cost||PKR 55 Billion|
|Source of Revenue||
- Reduction in time of Travel.
- Decrease in Vehicle Operating Cost (VOC)
- Decrease in traffic accidents due to improved/upgraded Highway Safety Standards.
- Add impetus to commerce and trade activities in the vicinity near the carriageway as well.
- Uplift in economic in different sector due to fast safe and reliable journey after up-gradation.
Role of Government Agency
- Provision of Right of Way
- Assistant in getting necessary approvals
Role of Private Party
- Operation and Maintenance
- Transfer of the project after concession period.